From 1942 through 1946, the Peaks Island Military Reservation supported the country’s efforts during World War II. After the United States entered the war, 198 acres of Peaks Island land was taken by eminent domain and 58 buildings were constructed to support approximately 800 soldiers. Some of the remnants of that time still exist today. This self-guided tour of the Peaks Island Military Reservation Trail includes a folded map to accompany the booklet’s details about the surviving structures. Funded in part by The Edward H. Daveis Benevolent Fund and the Maine Humanities Council. (printed in 2000, 18 pages)
There are no reviews yet.